Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting how people view players differently.

For me McGuane flatters to deceive, yes he‘s tidy, moves nicely, got good balance and technique but just doesn’t impact and influence games in a positive way nearly enough.

I was critical of McGuane in the above post, so it’s only fair to acknowledge an excellent performance against Derby last night.

Was that his best performance in an Oxford shirt? Looks a totally different player when he’s running with ball in the opposition half.

Perhaps Manning putting him on the bench against Carlisle, got a reaction, or he was encouraged by the formation and tactics to be more positive when in possession. Either way we saw the best of McGuane last night, long May it continue.

I was critical of McGuane in the above post, so it’s only fair to acknowledge an excellent performance against Derby last night.

Was that his best performance in an Oxford shirt? Looks a totally different player when he’s running with ball in the opposition half.

Perhaps Manning putting him on the bench against Carlisle, got a reaction, or he was encouraged by the formation and tactics to be more positive when in possession. Either way we saw the best of McGuane last night, long May it continue.
I'm a big fan of McGuane but I'd love him to be more positive. A couple of times last night he was basically forced to carry the ball forwards and they had no answer for him, if he could get that attitude in his head all the time he'd walk into any team in this league.

I thought McGuane was excellent when he came on against Carlisle. He gets harshly viewed upon because he doesn't score goals or get assists but Xavi, Iniesta and Modric, 3 of the best midfielders of all time, were not stats monsters yet they were massive parts of hugely successful teams. Not saying he is their quality but then neither is the level we play at, get the right set up around him and he can make a team tick.

In your defence he hasn’t had a performance that good for some time but I’m delighted for him because in terms of natural ability I think he’s one of the best players at the club. My view is we should be trying to tie him down as you can’t lose someone like that, at his age, for free.

Sounds obvious but he’s definitely a confidence player and when the team plays well, he plays significantly better. He benefits from everybody else doing their job properly so that he has an element of freedom and can take a risk. He’s a different player once he crosses half way - in our own half it’s all very safe and secure but as soon as he gets space to turn and enter the opponent’s half, he really is a powerhouse.

It was a night of resurgence for a few players last night. I thought Brannagan was good on Saturday but last night he was right at his very best. Long was better, Moore was better, Browne was better, Bodin was better. Everybody found another gear and we really trod on Derby at times.

The challenge is keeping that going because it’s a tough ask to do that 43 more times!! But I needed that last night. A shot in the arm of optimism.

It will be interesting to see if we bring in another winger now, we have three in Goodrham, Browne, and Mills. It looks as though Yanic and Murphy will not feature, so it would be nice to have another rotation option, on top of the new striker and LB.

Perhaps we were the ones dragging our feet because we couldn’t finalise a deal until somebody left first, and Burey has had enough of waiting around aimlessly?

Perhaps this is Manning’s cunning plan.

Tim Spread Sheet Williams won’t sanction another wide forward player signing until Wildschut or Murphy leaves, but will allow the signing of a left back.

Hence the alleged interest in Johnson, who can play left back, wingback and left wing.

Last edited:
Really disappointed that Burey isn't coming as I think he'd have been a fantastic player in this side at this level, but it's easier to swallow after last night. Move on, move up.

Wasn’t there talk that Johnson had just signed a new deal at Wednesday?
Signed an extension in the summer but I don’t think that means an awful lot. He’s 32 and completely frozen out the squad, so can’t see Sheff Wed wanting that much for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom