Home Match Day Thread 05/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you should persuade your family to move into the North Stand, we have a happy median there. It's rather gradient, you have the Families with kids on the left, more reserved in the middle and the more vociferous to the right side goading the away fans. It's great fun.
You haven't met my Dad, creature of habit doesn't come close! We're sat with loads of people who sit where they do because it's almost exactly the same position they stood in the Beech Road at The Manor, so everyone around there has known each other for decades. I really love it to be honest, but it's a completely different way of watching United to the singing and shouting of the East stand.

You haven't met my Dad, creature of habit doesn't come close! We're sat with loads of people who sit where they do because it's almost exactly the same position they stood in the Beech Road at The Manor, so everyone around there has known each other for decades. I really love it to be honest, but it's a completely different way of watching United to the singing and shouting of the East stand.
That actually sounds fantastic

I was quite surprised how Portsmouth went about the game. I suppose I shouldn't have been looking at who is managing them, but it was very negative stuff. If you are playing that way and winning it's one thing, but watching that and being sat in midtable surely isn't good enough for them. We made hard work of it, but were actually better value for the win than a one goal margin.

I thought the ref got the sending off correct - not only was his foot very high, but his studs were showing and he made contact: the definition of 'reckless'. Not malicious perhaps, but a sending off. He got the other one wrong - that was a sending off as well. He did add a decent amount of time on at the end - realistically it could have been a minute or two more. But Pompey lost in the time added on for their time wasting, so justice was done.

We need to sort out the defence. We can't be conceding so easily and hope to score 3 or more goals to win a game - you can't do that over and over again. Not sure the three at the back worked really, but was probably worth trying.

Getting bored with the 'we were really quiet all the time' rubbish on here. We weren't. And if you are expecting the whole home crowd to act the same as those diehards who go away and to do so all match long, then you are going to be disappointed. I agree that a bit of song variation wouldn't go amiss though - maybe the new Fanatics can take the lead there?
The goals we let in yesterday were massive cockups, but it was a new formation and a very odd disrupted game. Not sure why we didn’t just slot in Forde really. Anyway, we got a good draw at Wigan so we can defend, when we concentrate.

Seconded.

More to the point can you confirm he or she is over 18. Hard to believe at this point

Exactly my thoughts too.

Scrongo claims he’s been a supporter of OUFC since the 60’s if that’s the case, you’d expect some maturity in his posts/responses. They are anything but….

Just a bunch of negative posts one after the other.

This is soooooo good.

Christ, I knew we were far better but didn't realise just how much we battered them. Forgot about the one off the line in the first half and how we didn't score in the second after the cutback when Taylor basically missed the ball as well. For those saying their first red was harsh, bare in mind Brannagan got to the ball first, this looks pretty reckless to me.

1644239224740.png

Shame they didn't show the other incident but in the interest of fairness they also didn't show the single other shot Pompey managed.

Christ, I knew we were far better but didn't realise just how much we battered them. Forgot about the one off the line in the first half and how we didn't score in the second after the cutback when Taylor basically missed the ball as well. For those saying their first red was harsh, bare in mind Brannagan got to the ball first, this looks pretty reckless to me.

View attachment 8109

Shame they didn't show the other incident but in the interest of fairness they also didn't show the single other shot Pompey managed.
beat me to both points @Joey

View attachment 8109

Looking at this shot it looks even worse than on the day. Horrific, red all day long. The other 1 on Moore was worse

I just watched a vlog by pompey

1. Oxford won’t get promoted
2. Pompey can win 15 of last 18 to get promoted as Saturday they were superb apparently (match stars suggest otherwise)
3. Worst ref ever.

The last point is incredible to me. I think I sometimes watch games and know oxford have been dumb , dirty, time wasted. Teams do it. No club is unique. But they say he ruined the game. If you watched back each incident with a neutral and went to the rules of the game I just don’t see how you come to that conclusion. If anything he didn’t give the second red to save it as a spectacle . Portsmouth played like thugs and have only themselves to blame.

As others have written, I think the sound dissipates due to the high rooves (roofs?) on each stand and the large distance from the crowd to the pitch.
Very much this, it's a tough one to explain acoustics. If you have a small group singing in the East Stand, the roof is too high to project the sound. It's often similar to singing on an open terrace. However, once enough join in, "come on you yellows" at a corner for example, it reaches the roof and projects out.

Away fans are housed in the north stand where they are much closer to the roof, hence why even a small group can make decent noise in there.

Our singers were always going to congregate behind the goal to mimic the London Road days after the move to the K*ssam, unfortunately though our singing fans are in the worst stand for acoustics and are always going to limited by the stand.

I really hope this is taken into consideration on the new build. Acoustics are paramount and should take priority over aesthetics.

View attachment 8109

Studs up. Red card all day long despite what I thought at the time.

f**k off Pompey, you got off very lightly.

View attachment 8109

Well that picture should put all the 'doubt' to bed that it was a red card. The way Pompey were talking you'd think Cam had his head at knee height. If that had happened to Liam Kelly it would have gone over his head entirely it was that high...

Another very good win.
I can't say I enjoyed it because Pompey completely spoiled the game.
But what I did enjoy was our 'never say die' attitude. I do wish Refs would take action more quickly when it's perfectly clear what a team is up to.
Cam and Holland made the right decisions by running into shooting positions, we were never going to walk the ball in with 10 men behind the ball. In that situation you have to draw them out and they both did that really well, find the gap then get your shot in.

Another very good win.
I can't say I enjoyed it because Pompey completely spoiled the game.
But what I did enjoy was our 'never say die' attitude. I do wish Refs would take action more quickly when it's perfectly clear what a team is up to.
Cam and Holland made the right decisions by running into shooting positions, we were never going to walk the ball in with 10 men behind the ball. In that situation you have to draw them out and they both did that really well, find the gap then get your shot in.
Yes, in previous games of that kind we've spent the whole second half looping crosses into a packed penalty area and got nowhere. Needed a different approach.

Well that picture should put all the 'doubt' to bed that it was a red card. The way Pompey were talking you'd think Cam had his head at knee height. If that had happened to Liam Kelly it would have gone over his head entirely it was that high...
Or Jake Wright.

Studs up. Red card all day long despite what I thought at the time.

f**k off Pompey, you got off very lightly.

Yep not only studs up, but his standing foot is off the ground, he's out of control. How the elbow never warranted a second red card is beyond me.

The referee had a good game up to 55 minutes and then lost control of it, only wrestling control back with 15 minutes to go having cautioned the GK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom