Away Match Day Thread 13/11/2021 L1: Ipswich Town v OUFC

The second half showed why we don't just need a backup to Taylor, but also an alternative. He's great at holding it up for his size, but we could really do with a more physical presence up front when being pressed like that. Too many times we'd hit it long and it wouldn't stick.
Karl knew this in the summer but chose not to. Ultimately it's our lack of options that will cost us.

Karl knew this in the summer but chose not to. Ultimately it's our lack of options that will cost us.
Yes I'm a fan of KR but I do wonder if the wages spent on Bodin would have been put to better use for another forward. Only singling him out because he's barely played.

We've now got Holland, Williams, Whyte, Sykes and Bodin competing for two spots. Also all of them bar Holland prefer playing on the right. Think KR signed Whyte with a view playing him LW but has thankfully dropped that for Holland who (although not his best today) has been pretty impressive last few games.

So yes overall I think a mistake but hopefully we can sort it in January.

Get to January . Another great point and there will be more fire power coming ,please stay fit Taylor. Some good options , I would like to see Bodin play up front he could be different than the same old swap. But well done Karl and the team

On the train home and, like everyone else it seems, very much enjoying the boring boring oxford chants. Astonishing hubris from fans whose team looked about the level of Crewe in September.

An even game that was perhaps fairly a draw. I think Ipswich had the best chance with that Easty save at the start of the second half, but we looked the better overall. Moments in that first half we’ll look back on and rue - the Holland opportunity when through should have at least ended in a shot, and I felt we had some other good openings. Second half was a different game though. We tired and Town looked a bit more dangerous. I’m pleased with how we looked defensively, though. Never really troubled - yes they hit the post twice, but we’re due some luck with teams scoring half-chances against us. Not sure how serious the injuries were in reality (appreciate there was a bit of gamesmanship) but Kane, CB and Taylor going down were real heart-in-mouth moments.

Ipswich a strange side. You got the sense they had decent individual quality but no system or coherent gameplan whatsoever. Cook surely has to be doing better with the talent at his disposal.

Loved the ‘Agyei scores, we’re on the pitch’ chant, really made me chuckle - although I suspect that signals the start of the end for him as an OUFC prospect.
Usually a chant reserved for a Dannie Bulman or Alex Gorrin...not great to be singing that about your second choice forward 🤣

A raggedy bunch of spotty teenagers decked in blue came up to us as we walked out of the ground and croaked out a whingy little medley of ‘boring boring oxford’ and then ran off. I had to smile.

Ipswich is a good away day out. There’s a bit of a Life on Mars vibe going on. You expected to see kids on chopper bikes outside the ground, Wagon Wheels on sale in the food bar and Izal toilet paper in the bogs.

Best 0-0 I’ve been at in a long while. Some superb time wasting by Kane and Taylor. Not convinced Taylor was actually injured.

Not his greatest fan but Seddon was very accomplished today , pick of a very decent back 4.

Ipswich will be top 6 easy on that showing. So will we.

COYY.
Thought Seddon had a great game today

Player ratings.

Eastwood 8 - back to his best
Long 7
Moore 7
Thorniley 7
Seddon 8 - my MOTM
Kane 7
Brannagan 7
Henry 6
Sykes 7
Taylor 7
Holland 5

Thought McGuane looked quality off the bench. Unsure why KR didn’t bring on Bodin/Williams for Holland 10/15 in to 2nd half.

Saw the highlights on Quest. I can see why the Ref didn't give the penalty on Holland, based on his position/view, even if on balance it was a penalty.

It was a blatant penalty on Matty Taylor though, that was a very bad decision by the Officials. Maybe the Ipswich fans should be thankful for that decision rather than their wailing after the game.

Their reaction is truly bizarre.

I could understand it more if they were peppering our goal with shots and had us under the cosh. They weren’t and they didn’t.

I look forward to reports of their fans reacting similarly to their own team when they next run the clock down to close out a game.

Back
Top Bottom