General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is still used in the USA as a word that doesn't offend, but in the UK, I believe the word was kind of pushed away the same time another word beginning with s, as both became a disrespectful connotation.
You’re right, I’ve discussed this with American colleagues and handicapped is still used quite widely there, when we’d say ‘disabled’.

That's why Karl not going anywhere yet. Let Karl take charge of the next few games where we ultimately will end up in the bottom 4 so the board won't take much backlash from the whole fanbase when they do sack him in November. Then that gives the new man a few weeks to plan for the january transfer window and doesn't come in at a time when we have an awful run of fixtures like we do in October.
Cheers Nostradamus.

Who’s going to win the World Cup? What’s interest rate going to rise to? Would appreciate your thoughts.

The appointment of Tim Williams (subject to approval) is interesting as his previous experience includes Man U and Inter Milan.

Hopefully he doesn't find the step up to us too daunting.

You know, we laugh about it - but it is a step up in role and breadth of responsibilities for him.

Williams was basically the chief accountant at Man U, and then the CFO at Inter. Responsible for managing the cash.

At OUFC, he's going to be CEO so responsible for all aspects of implementing the Board's strategies. Vastly smaller pond he's swimming in, obviously, but he's the big fish for the first time.

It's like the commercial equivalent of us signing Man U's first team coach as manager. A really exciting move for the club no doubt, but it's not a wildly ridiculous career move for him (especially given the level of ambition our Indonesian duo clearly have!)

Last edited:
Seems a positive step. Finally, some transparency.

Slight concerns that the new CEO appears still to be based in Asia, though

Don't think he is, is he?
Just looked him up on Linkedin, and Tim Williams has never had a job outside of Europe.

Currently manages a sports advisory/capital solutions firm (Tifosy) and he's the EVP for a special purpose sports acquisition corporation (Iconic), both based in London. And he's a visiting prof at Manchester Metropolitan University.

He looks like a serious, serious sports finance guy. Can't imagine the club will ever have any difficulties raising capital whilst he's at the helm with the connections he has! And when we inevitably qualify for Europe in a couple of years, he clearly knows his way around FFP.

(also can't see why the EFL wouldn't agree to his appointment. He appears to be eminently qualified - vastly more so than a lot of people who get approved in the lower leagues).

Grant Ferguson may still be based in Asia but that's less of a worry. He's the one that's supposed to lead the board meetings, but the Chairman of the Board shouldn't be the guy running the club on a day-to-day basis.

Didn't get round to posting anything meaningful yesterday but yippeeee!!

Really good day yesterday both personally and for our club. I love hearing Mr Bakrie speak, he comes off composed and honest, and knows where the priorities are and how to achieve them.

We have a solid structure at the club now, and with a few tweaks (managerial) we could be going somewhere soon.

COYY

Once again reiterating the need for footballing success alongside the stadium. I can hardly see the board being content on a year of stagnation/regression when working to such a limited time scale. As previously mentioned, KR has a big run until Christmas coming up - seemingly an uptick in performances and results is reliant on the return of the injured players. All excuses then evaporate.

Don't think he is, is he?
Just looked him up on Linkedin, and Tim Williams has never had a job outside of Europe.

Currently manages a sports advisory/capital solutions firm (Tifosy) and he's the EVP for a special purpose sports acquisition corporation (Iconic), both based in London. And he's a visiting prof at Manchester Metropolitan University.

He looks like a serious, serious sports finance guy. Can't imagine the club will ever have any difficulties raising capital whilst he's at the helm with the connections he has! And when we inevitably qualify for Europe in a couple of years, he clearly knows his way around FFP.

(also can't see why the EFL wouldn't agree to his appointment. He appears to be eminently qualified - vastly more so than a lot of people who get approved in the lower leagues).

Grant Ferguson may still be based in Asia but that's less of a worry. He's the one that's supposed to lead the board meetings, but the Chairman of the Board shouldn't be the guy running the club on a day-to-day basis.
This is absolutely right. Tim Williams has serious football business credentials and, to be blunt, won't be coming cheap. This appointment almost more than anything else shows how serious the 'new' board are. Having senior people on the ground on a day-to-day basis is what the club has been crying out for, and having people of the calibre of Ferguson and Williams is a massive step in the right direction.

At last. What kept them? Must be the longest ever ‘pending takeover’ in world football.

I’m assuming currency movements /hedging contracts played a bit of a role

The appointments look serious. Measured realistic talk . Agree they’re not here to listen to constant bad luck/bad refereeing stories, it’s time to deliver to budget.

Timing also essential as we move to the battle of the underperforming giants on Saturday. It’s a huge game for the manager.

A significant day for our club and one which shows the intent of the investors.
From seemingly slightly drifting along focus is now as keen as its ever been.
Exciting times ahead 😁

I took minutes at the takeover meeting and served everyone prawn vol-au-vants when the champagne was being poured. Even got a little kiss off Bakrie on his way out. So I knew about this first.

You've got to trust me on this one - my self esteem depends on it.

Please.

You are Doris the tea-lady! Your slips showing, bashers :giggle:

Williams seems a very impressive person to have on board, glad the off field stuff seems to be moving in the right direction

Great news all round; now can we please ditch the weakest link, and appoint a new manager now (no, NOT “let’s give him another ten games” He’s already done enough damage) and then at least the on-field ambition will match the off.

Great news all round; now can we please ditch the weakest link, and appoint a new manager now (no, NOT “let’s give him another ten games” He’s already done enough damage) and then at least the on-field ambition will match the off.
I haven’t seen any quotes from KR regarding yesterday’s news - not that I’ve looked that hard! 😏

I would’ve though he would have been all over it yesterday talking about the exciting LONG TERM project he and the new board have together/great guys/matching ambitions/LOVE Indonesia etc etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom