Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2021 L1 Sunderland v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I suspect had we done it yesterday he would’ve stopped play for either player laying on the ground or taken from the wrong place. In 1 of my previous posts on this thread I said about consistency which Kettle has little of when referring.
Maybe, but of course speculation. Kettle was shite, as per normal, that's not in doubt.

If those three go up and get out of our way and Wycombe , Weds and Rotherham or Coventry go down the league should be a bit weaker next year, I think

Possibly although if in the Sunderland penalty box on an Oxford player it would’ve been play on would it not. The art of refereeing is about consistency and reading of the game of which we saw virtually none. 1 thing I always look at with a decision is would it be the same at the other end of the pitch in the same situation and sadly with Trevor Kettle the answer is no. Robinson said Kettle told him before kick off yesterday he should’ve given us a penalty and sent the Northampton player off in the 3rd minute of our recent game there. If not true it’s on tape for the relevant people to hear and do with what they wish.
As I have said more than once, Kettle was awful. I don't disagree with you about that. In terms of whether he would have given a penalty to us, no idea, there were no big penalty shouts for either team. I don't think he was biased towards Sunderland, I just don't think he was very good at all. The Brannigan foul was so blatant to me, i am not sure even he would have missed it at the other end.

As I have said more than once, Kettle was awful. I don't disagree with you about that. In terms of whether he would have given a penalty to us, no idea, there were no big penalty shouts for either team. I don't think he was biased towards Sunderland, I just don't think he was very good at all. The Brannigan foul was so blatant to me, i am not sure even he would have missed it at the other end.
It’s a shame they don’t have VAR in our level of football because I suspect if they did we would be at least 3 points better off at least in the last 2 Oxford games he has referred and it would also show how s**t some officials are.

The first one wasn't a yellow the 2nd one was.
Sykes should have stayed down .The ref or linesman didnt see who connected first. The refs reaction was based on the sunderland cheats reaction and there player rolling around, when rolling around you know they are feigning injury. When a player is genuinely injured in pain they dont roll around. After the red card he miraculously jumps up. All through the game the slightest touch over they went and the ref gave a foul, yet blatant hacks at shopido were acceptable.

I would imagine a lot of people crying about Power giving our bench what for used to cheer and laugh when the likes of Maguire and Hylton did exactly the same thing in years gone by. No wonder Power said we have a soft underbelly in his post-match. I’ve even seen people calling for fines and retrospective action. Good lord...

Sometimes it’s your players dishing it out and sometimes it’s the other way around. That’s football. I didn’t realise so many had gone so soft.
Many times I’ve seen our players winding up the crowd but tell me how many times have any of our players run half the length of the pitch to knee slide in front of the opposition bench, when tensions are raised after a half time tunnel incident where one of their players was allegedly head butted?
I’m not crying, I couldn’t give a toss about their antics , they lost any respect I might have had for them the minute Power leapt around like a jackass to get Sykes sent off.
Just don’t try and tell me that Power’s sprint and knee slide was simply ‘shithousery’.
Man’s an absolute prick, move on to the next game.

Last edited:
Although I suspect had we done it yesterday he would’ve stopped play for either player laying on the ground or taken from the wrong place. In 1 of my previous posts on this thread I said about consistency which Kettle has little of when referring.
I dunno, I’d say he’s always consistently shite.

Last edited:
I've given myself a bit of space after the game to cool off, and now sort of find myself partly agreeing with @Sinner on the second goal. Cam appeared to be attempting to slow the game down, understandably as we were a man down. They took a quick kick which we could have defended better. Wrong place? Sure. Another day it was pulled back? Sure. No different to our goal v Man City last season where we were pretty cute with a quick restart. Am I pissed off with it? Damn right. If we had done it? I'd be saying fantastic quick thinking.

That ref? As usual inept. Up there with Eric Reid and Mike Reed in shite ref performances (youngsters, ask your parents 😂)

If we can get on a run and nick the last playoff place, I'd rather face Sunderland than Peterborough or Hull. No disrespect to them, but I think the pressure of a playoff will get to them much as it did to Portsmouth last year.
I actually thought he got cramp. He seemed to straighten his leg quickly which I felt insinuated he had cramp.

Just feel the referee should have checked on him before allowing a quick free kick (not that he even had a say in it as Sunderland just took it)

I've given myself a bit of space after the game to cool off, and now sort of find myself partly agreeing with @Sinner on the second goal. Cam appeared to be attempting to slow the game down, understandably as we were a man down. They took a quick kick which we could have defended better. Wrong place? Sure. Another day it was pulled back? Sure. No different to our goal v Man City last season where we were pretty cute with a quick restart. Am I pissed off with it? Damn right. If we had done it? I'd be saying fantastic quick thinking.

That ref? As usual inept. Up there with Eric Reid and Mike Reed in shite ref performances (youngsters, ask your parents 😂)

If we can get on a run and nick the last playoff place, I'd rather face Sunderland than Peterborough or Hull. No disrespect to them, but I think the pressure of a playoff will get to them much as it did to Portsmouth last year.
I have to take issue with that. Kettle is consistently utter shite, absolutely. But even utter shite does not come close to the refereeing performance served up by Mike Reed. Seeing him grinning away with Vialli, Lebouef and co after cheating us out of one of our finest hours is a memory even at 37 that still makes me mad.

Trevor Kettle is incompetent. Mike Reed is a f*****g disgrace.

Out of interest, do we have concrete proof that Brannagan was "pretending to be injured"...?

Many's the time we've seen players clamber to their feet and play on in the expectation they would have received physio treatment, but were denied by the ref's failure to stop play. I'm fairly sure Brannagan was substituted off 5 mins later.

I absolutely acknowledge the rules that state the referee is only mandated to stop play for head injuries, but I don't hold with the need to denigrate Cameron Brannagan just because he (was forced to) get to his feet and attempt to play on (injured) 20 seconds later.

Right now I’m fantasising about the play off final. Sufc vs oufc (they just slip out of the autos, we just sneak into playoffs). Goes to penalties, and it is Max Power’s peno - saved by Jack unusually using his head to butt it round the post - that sends us up. We laugh, and their fans are once again filmed crying “why is it never us that gets to celebrate?”.

Out of interest, do we have concrete proof that Brannagan was "pretending to be injured"...?

Many's the time we've seen players clamber to their feet and play on in the expectation they would have received physio treatment, but were denied by the ref's failure to stop play. I'm fairly sure Brannagan was substituted off 5 mins later.

I absolutely acknowledge the rules that state the referee is only mandated to stop play for head injuries, but I don't hold with the need to denigrate Cameron Brannagan just because he (was forced to) get to his feet and attempt to play on (injured) 20 seconds later.

I don't think we have proof but I think we all know what he was doing.

It's done to us far more than we do it to others.

And with 10 men, and our backs fully to the wall, it was a worthy tactic.

Just didn't work out this time....and maybe not one for the purists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom