Home Match Day Thread 09/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Bodin (I think) put wide of the post with a shot from the edge of the box and his free kick that hit the crossbar.
Are these chances e.g. when people say we missed loads of chances.

We were definitely the better team yesterday, but I just didn’t see us open them up that often and create good chances. The Bodin shot after going 2-1 down was a chance, but he missed the target. Also, like I mentioned initially there was the Brown header and Sykes’ long range attempt, but other than that I don’t recall us threatening their goal.

Are these chances e.g. when people say we missed loads of chances.

We were definitely the better team yesterday, but I just didn’t see us open them up that often and create good chances. The Bodin shot after going 2-1 down was a chance, but he missed the target. Also, like I mentioned initially there was the Brown header and Sykes’ long range attempt, but other than that I don’t recall us threatening their goal.
We were in lots of good positions, but were blocked or couldn’t quite get shots in. Good defending I guess. Certainly spent a lot of time in their area.

yep but originally from uptheus post,
I don't disagree. I was responding to the point that Sunderland created 4 of the 5 chances yesterday when we had a number of good chances ourselves.

The league table is a true reflection on where we are. And whilst some have "found us out" we've also done the same to many others. But there are always individual exceptions.

Although by no means certain, we could finish this season doing the double over Sheff Wed, MK Dons and taking 4 points off Rotherham. I don't think that we're better than those 3 teams but sometimes things fall your way, and sometimes they don't.

Agreed.

We will end where we deserve to end.

Be in no doubt, I’m absolutely gutted that we’ve not at least got a play off place. Gutted!

That said, questions must always be asked and a thorough review of the season must be had by those in charge. Let’s keep challenging to ensure we’re better.

As soon as the status quo is good enough, we will go backwards.

Not an absolutely brilliant save by Stevens to prevent the late chance I see , just ' a miss ' .
Bodins was a miss as off target when I'm 100 % certain he would expect to score .
Browns header ,inside the 6 yard box was as good a chance as any they had . Brilliant save by their keeper .
I said in a previous post it was a save, I was summarising. Very good save as well.

Are you honestly saying Bodin's chance on the edge of the box is anywhere near as good a chance as their one on one or a near enough open goal from 6/7 yards?

I said in a previous post it was a save, I was summarising. Very good save as well.

Are you honestly saying Bodin's chance on the edge of the box is anywhere near as good a chance as their one on one or a near enough open goal from 6/7 yards?
Brown's header was as good a chance as either of there's.
Bodins I said would have expected to hit the target with the ball coming onto him and needing guiding .

Having just read this thread for the first time today I am glad I haven’t been on here before. Anyone would think yesterday we slipped into the relegation zone not four points outside the playoffs and I am disappointed like everyone else but I think we need to be realistic in that there are many big clubs in this league. I keep hearing we have a play off budget, could someone please tell me which ones out of the seven clubs above us and three below us have smaller budgets than us oh and don’t forget Wycombe got seven million tv payout last season.

Having just read this thread for the first time today I am glad I haven’t been on here before. Anyone would think yesterday we slipped into the relegation zone not four points outside the playoffs and I am disappointed like everyone else but I think we need to be realistic in that there are many big clubs in this league. I keep hearing we have a play off budget, could someone please tell me which ones out of the seven clubs above us and three below us have smaller budgets than us oh and don’t forget Wycombe got seven million tv payout last season.
We were in a relegation battle a few seasons ago around the half way mark in the season, but had a great second half of the season ultimately making the play-offs, whereas, this season we were in the opposite position and now look like we won’t make the play-offs which is very disappointing and feels as if we’ve gone backwards so I fully understand peoples frustration/disappointment.

ps I never even mentioned the budgets!

We were in a relegation battle a few seasons ago around the half way mark in the season, but had a great second half of the season ultimately making the play-offs, whereas, this season we were in the opposite position and now look like we won’t make the play-offs which is very disappointing and feels as if we’ve gone backwards so I fully understand peoples frustration/disappointment.

ps I never even mentioned the budgets!
Did I ever pinpoint anything from your posts. We are all disappointed and I regularly see budgets quoted by people . I unfortunately think the whole stadium situation is massively holding us back at present and unfortunately will continue to do so.

Did I ever pinpoint anything from your posts. We are all disappointed and I regularly see budgets quoted by people . I unfortunately think the whole stadium situation is massively holding us back at present and unfortunately will continue to do so.
No, I was just responding to your post with my thoughts which may have given an insight as to why many fans have written the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in.

No, I was just responding to your post with my thoughts which may have given an insight as to why many fans have written the reality of the situation we now find ourselves in.
No problem, I think the last week has proven a massive disappointment for us al. Another time we could’ve ended up with a good haul of points but unfortunately it wasn’t to be but at the wrong time everything has gone against us. This is a crazy league one season and unfortunately now we probably need eighty one points to make the playoffs when normal seventy four is enough . For the last four games we have to give it a go and see what happens and if as we all suspect we don’t quite make it then regroup and go again hopefully keeping the players we need,

Brown's header was as good a chance as either of there's.
Bodins I said would have expected to hit the target with the ball coming onto him and needing guiding .
Big chances...
3aa1a3ced26ad3e9b89d8cd196beac88.jpg

So Moores headed goal wasn't a ' big chance ' but there first pinball in the box was ?
Wouldn’t Moore’s goal be classified as a goal in the stats rather than a ‘big chance’ or did you mean Brown’s header?

Last edited:
Wouldn’t Moore’s goal be classified as a goal in the stats rather than a ‘big chance’ or did you mean Brown’s header?

The fact that there is also a statistic for 'big chances missed' and those numbers for Sunderland are not equal, demonstrates the point Thomas/Brock/Jones is making...what these data is trying to show seems VERY obscure to me. Only one of Sunderland's two goals was a 'big chance'...? Or, that neither of their goals was a 'big chance', in which case...what became of the 'big chance' that wasn't a 'big chance missed'...?

Damned lies and statistics, innit?

The fact that there is also a statistic for 'big chances missed' and those numbers for Sunderland are not equal, demonstrates the point Thomas/Brock/Jones is making...what these data is trying to show seems VERY obscure to me. Only one of Sunderland's two goals was a 'big chance'...? Or, that neither of their goals was a 'big chance', in which case...what became of the 'big chance' that wasn't a 'big chance missed'...?

Damned lies and statistics, innit?
I’m reading the ‘big chance/big chances missed’ as the one on one their player had or McNally’s clearance off the line and or Brown’s header etc, but not as goals scored!

I’m probably completely misreading it!

seeing as theres a meltdown on here after we lose a few games then what would happen with a relegation even if its from the league above? if we go up i want us to stay up.
What happens if Rotherham dont go up this season after being top and clear all season?
I’d rather be in Rotherham’s current position in the table than ours - wouldn’t you?

I’d rather be in Rotherham’s current position in the table than ours - wouldn’t you?
Fact is though being a yo-yo side means 6/7 million every season in the Championship so will always expect to be top 6 if not automatics.
See Three relegated sides Rotherham, Sheffield Wed's and even Wycombe ( paying 10k a week for Vokes) and its that windfall that gives a massive advantage to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom