Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Again, I'm going to come over all Mr. Negative......but also feel the need to point out that while the two Sams have been twenty goal strikers at this level in the past - they have scored 12 (Baldock) and 13 (Winnall) league goals in the last five years total (i.e. from 17/18 to 21/22 inclusive).

Now the Championship is a way, way tougher place to score goals than League One (Matty T only managed 7 in 67 games when he was there; Clarke-Harris scored 31 goals for Posh last year.....he's only managed 5 this season)

But we are still rather relying on the old notion that form is temporary, class is permanent with Baldock.

Again, not saying that it's a bad signing - he could turn out to be awesome, and the price tag is certainly attractive - but I just think I would have been more excited if, given that he's 32 years old, his goalscoring exploits were not five years in the past......
It's worth mentioning that if you look at the League One Top 25 Scorers on BBC Sport, we have 4 on there (Taylor, Sykes, Henry Brannagan). Rotherham and Wigan have 2 each, and Portsmouth Ipswich Sunderland Plymouth et al. have one.

It's just worth saying that I don't think we should necessarily expect 10 goals a year from Winall or Baldock, even 6/7. No one else has prolific secondary options up front, especially when they're only getting 10-20 minutes maximum a game to try and grab one.

I'm glad that I got stick for saying that we were looking at Szmodics which would have involved a substantial bid! I accept that I don't get everything right - far from it! Sometimes situations change and one deal elsewhere affects our plans. But we were very clearly looking at making some big signings had things gone our way.
Although you said it was a loan.

Agyei, Cooper and Thorniley out of the squad.
Brown, Browne and Baldock in.
Smythe doesn’t need to be registered due to his age.

Gorrin taken out of the squad as out injured for the rest of the season would leave space for one more
Are you saying Gorrin has been taken, out of the squad?

Are you saying Gorrin has been taken, out of the squad?

May as well be.

Average recovery time from a torn ACL for a footballer to get back to playing is 7-9 months.

Gorrin did his in November, so he should be aiming at getting fit and ready for next season. He'd have to be way ahead of the curve to get back in time to meaningfully contribute this season.

Having read the article, it's clear that we conducted our business correctly and professionally, while Sunderland played silly buggers. This is exactly the way I want our club to behave, and how we should be thought of by other clubs.

Blackpool should take note.

May as well be.

Average recovery time from a torn ACL for a footballer to get back to playing is 7-9 months.

Gorrin did his in November, so he should be aiming at getting fit and ready for next season. He'd have to be way ahead of the curve to get back in time to meaningfully contribute this season.
All of this is correct but they are only taking him out of the squad, if they are thinking of bringing someone in!

Anyone have any idea where we are points wise, in comparison with the same stage last year??

Biggins , Aldridge and Hamilton start of 84/85.

Depends on how you read it. Only Hamilton had played at Division 2 level (where they had just been promoted to) before then, and I’m not sure he scored 20 for Burnley. But no doubt all had scored hatfuls at Division 3 (where we are now).

In any case, absolutely exciting times for us now (although I’d be surprised if both Baldock and Winnall stay beyond this season).

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that if you look at the League One Top 25 Scorers on BBC Sport, we have 4 on there (Taylor, Sykes, Henry Brannagan). Rotherham and Wigan have 2 each, and Portsmouth Ipswich Sunderland Plymouth et al. have one.

It's just worth saying that I don't think we should necessarily expect 10 goals a year from Winall or Baldock, even 6/7. No one else has prolific secondary options up front, especially when they're only getting 10-20 minutes maximum a game to try and grab one.
I can see Henry getting quite a few more if he gets fit, and maybe Holland scoring more too. And people said there were no goals in this team!

I'm glad that I got stick for saying that we were looking at Szmodics which would have involved a substantial bid! I accept that I don't get everything right - far from it! Sometimes situations change and one deal elsewhere affects our plans. But we were very clearly looking at making some big signings had things gone our way.
🤣

I can't see those two getting in the team.
Have a look at that previously mentioned league 1 top scorer table on the BBC website. Henry averages 221 minutes per goal scored, which is the 14th best ratio on that table……. We miss his goals, and we need his goals if we want to get promoted.

It’s a squad game, no one expected Bodin to get into the team.

Wingers will be picked on a game-by-game basis.

Opposition has a fullback who's weak against pace? Get Holland or Whyte to take them on.

The opposition plays a narrow back 4? Play Henry so that he'll have time and space to whip in crosses.

Etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom