Home Match Day Thread 05/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was a bloody brilliant day out!

As for the atmosphere - of course Pompey sound loud when they have a drummer banging away for 90 minutes right at the back of the stand underneath the roof. The fact that most of our noise comes from the East stand, where the roof is so much further from the seats because of all that space at the back of the stand, means it doesn't reverberate and dissipates a lot quicker. That's not to say we were not flat for periods today though, because we were for sure.

They say a manager builds a team in his image - if we ever have the misfortune to be managed by the Cowley's I'll stop going, if that's what it looks like. F*ck me. What a bunch of dirty, whiny, time-wasting, over-reacting tossers. And they're not even good; compared to Sheff Weds a couple of weeks ago, they're miles away.

Referees really need to change their approach and start taking authority. Stamp out all the bullsh*t at the earliest opportunity. That was the worst display of time-wasting by a goalkeeper I have ever seen. He literally looked the ref in the eye each time he took an age over a goal kick, daring him to book him. But the ref chickened out, waiting until the 88th minute. Do it in the 50th minute, if that's what it takes. If the players know the ref is taking a hard-line approach, they will be far more reluctant to continue these antics and actually get on with the game. The only thing I can say, at least the ref did add all those minutes on correctly.

But a couple of other things - that elbow/forearm smash on Moore was absolutely horrendous. The side-on angle from ifollow doesn't show it particularly well, but being sat in the East stand it was clear cut. Moore wins the header easily, Hirst then comes in late and deliberately swings an arm out to make contact with Moore's head. Absolutely nailed on red card. It's one where VAR would have sent the ref to the monitor and he'd have to change the decision. VAR also would not have overturned the red for the high foot because it is still reckless, if not malicious. The ref took his time with that one and gave himself a chance to think about it, as it was a good couple of minutes between the foul and him pulling out the red card.

Finally, Ronan Curtis. This fu*cking guy. What a clown. The ref should have booked him at half time when Curtis was in his face having a go (Cowley had to pull him away) - this isn't allowed, and goes back to what I say about referees stamping their authority. All day long, even over little nothing decisions, Curtis bemoaned and harangued the officials. Should have been booked for it. After his goal - the prat was still down by the Pompey fans celebrating 2 minutes later when all his teammates had long since got back in their half ready for the restart. Book him for this patently obvious time-wasting. Then when he deliberately handballs it late on, instead of it being his first booking he would have got the red card his performance deserved. The best bit though - go and watch Holland's goal again. We all look at it from an OUFC point of view, and f*cking love it! But check out the man in blue who is supposed to be tracking Holland inside. Who puts in the most pathetic, half-arsed challenge you will ever see. Who lets the player run off him without laying a glove on him, only to see him plant a shot from 25 yards inside the far post and seal the game. It's Ronan f*cking Curtis. Beautiful!

Finally, Ronan Curtis. This fu*cking guy. What a clown. The ref should have booked him at half time when Curtis was in his face having a go (Cowley had to pull him away) - this isn't allowed, and goes back to what I say about referees stamping their authority. All day long, even over little nothing decisions, Curtis bemoaned and harangued the officials. Should have been booked for it. After his goal - the prat was still down by the Pompey fans celebrating 2 minutes later when all his teammates had long since got back in their half ready for the restart. Book him for this patently obvious time-wasting. Then when he deliberately handballs it late on, instead of it being his first booking he would have got the red card his performance deserved. The best bit though - go and watch Holland's goal again. We all look at it from an OUFC point of view, and f*cking love it! But check out the man in blue who is supposed to be tracking Holland inside. Who puts in the most pathetic, half-arsed challenge you will ever see. Who lets the player run off him without laying a glove on him, only to see him plant a shot from 25 yards inside the far post and seal the game. It's Ronan f*cking Curtis. Beautiful!

THIS is the best chat of '22 so far.

I’m known for shouting ‘don’t shoot!’ Can’t bear it when someone balloons it over the bar. I’m SSL though.
As a coach myself it’s not advice I’d give to my teams. I’m a firm believer that one of the best ways to score goals these days is by shooting.

In fact I remember reading somewhere that teams that don’t shoot as much tend not to score as many

As a coach myself it’s not advice I’d give to my teams. I’m a firm believer that one of the best ways to score goals these days is by shooting.

In fact I remember reading somewhere that teams that don’t shoot as much tend not to score as many

You may jest, but...

...still, Wycombe ain't having such a bad season, are they...?

FK3FQjOXMAQnHJL

Just to clear up a couple of things from the North Stand. The 2 'youngsters' who literally got dragged down the stairs by Stewards were Oxford fans getting over excited near the segregation. The Portsmouth fans removed were sat just in front of me. When they went 2-1 in front one of them jumped up and celebrated their goal. Unhappy Oxford fans around pointed him out to Stewards who still took 10 minutes to eject him. Turns out 3 left with him. (Who didn't celebrate).
Anyway what an ending, on par with Charlton away from a couple of years ago. (That was 3-2 as well)

Last edited:
Very dramatic but poor quality. So many stoppages!

Sam Long very badly missed today. We looked lower mid table at the back .

Bazunu displayed Olympic gold medal shithousery and should have been off. Has a goalkeeper ever been red carded for time wasting though? Doubt it.

The referee allowed Pompey to dictate on the old game management: was he trying to compensate for the Morrel incident?

You’ve got to salute our spirit though ; Brannigan almost singlehandedly won us the points, Him and Sykes were the only players who could be satisfied with their performances. Taylor looked ill, Seddon is a flimsy in the challenge; in short as some feared , Tuesday’s heroics led to Saturday’s flatness.

Lastly there were a fair few limbs round the SSU on 96 minutes. Don’t ever say our fans lack passion and noise ‘Scrongo’.

COYFY

Sykes ? Good in patches but thought he was generally off it, certainly not as consistent a performance as he has been giving. Kane was back towards his best, certainly better than he has been for five or six games. A special mention for Brown, looks a bit like one of those serial killers you see Piers Morgan interviewing ! Thought he was good though with a nice touch and decent on the ball.

In my opinion the red was a 100% red. He‘s gone in studs first, I don’t care where a players head is, if you attack the ball or player studs first you’re off. I don’t know what Robbo was on about, calling it a soft red, it’s a clear red. The elbow on Moore was as bad, from what i saw the fact he didn’t forcibly move his elbow into Moore may have got him off the hook but he did led elbow first and seemed to catch Moore.
Not sure there was any real intent or malice from George Hirst with the Elliott Moore
incident after Morrell was red carded.

I think they are best mates having played together for OH Leuven in Belgium in 2018-19

As far as I concerned, Portsmouth got exactly what they deserved....... nothing. There time wasting, play acting and fouling was an embarresment. They should have been reduced to 9 players in the first half. It was poetic justice that we scored our winning goal in the very time the referee had added on for the time wasting. I thought it was a super game for boys in terms of effort, commitment and attitude. Even when we were behind, their heads didn't drop, they continued to try and play football, kept probing and plugging away and eventually got what THEY deserved. We really do have a brilliant squad of players and are very proud of them.

Footnote : I do wish we could keep a clean sheet occasionally. They do make it hard for themselves.... and my heart can't cope!!!! 😁 😁

Not sure there was any real intent or malice from George Hirst with the Elliott Moore
incident after Morrell was red carded.

I think they are best mates having played together for OH Leuven in Belgium in 2018-19

Back in the 2001 i had a couple of mates that were quite heavily involved with Oud Heverlee when they
were back in the Belgian 4th tier, i played with the vets a couple of times and was invited with a couple
of other mates to watch a league game, 3 course meal and wine in the clubhouse, so by the time the game
was over i was in a happy place, they used to have a young English right back that worked in the Stella Artois
factory in Leuven, being a little bit drunk i thought it would be fun to pretend to be a scout from Fulham
and that Jean Tigana was setting up summer training camps and inviting players from Belgium and France
over for trials, hook, line and sinker and not wanting to blow my cover we moved to a bar in the village,
as we walk in the barman is just putting the phone down and says that scouts from Fulham are around and
with a big smile asks what we would like to drink to which i replied, nah, f that, its time to leave...

Fair play to them i have to say, from a club with 1 stand playing in the 4th tier to playing in the 1st
division and hosting Internationals they have come a hell of a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom