Home Match Build Up 29/12/2022 L1: OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like us on Boxing Day?

To be fair have struggling sides (which both us and Charlton are) ever took big numbers away to non local games over the festive period?
These night games, which seem a new one to me barely seem like Xmas fixtures, used to just play them at 3pm and you either had to take an extra days holiday off work if you were unlucky or miss out.

People will vote with their feet.
Can`t see how lots of empty seats help the business but there we are. 🤷‍♂️

O'Donkor needs to start one of these next two games. He's been lively enough to deserve that (and Matty T isn't exactly doing much to keep him out of the side).
But given that he always seems to be knackered after 45-60 minutes (not surprising for an 18 year old coming up against professional defenders for the first time) I would have thought that two games in four days might be too much for him.

Similarly, Murphy and Wildschut should be in the starting mix, but coming back from injury, you'd be nuts to start either of them twice within four days.

Assuming everyone's healthy, then the back eight picks itself - and they should all be expecting to play both games:

Eastwood
Anderson Moore Findlay Brown
McGuane
Bate Brannagan

And then I think I would pick Murphy-GOD-Wildschut for one game, and Jones/Henry/Bodin (take your pick)-Taylor-Goodrham for the other.

O'Donkor needs to start one of these next two games. He's been lively enough to deserve that (and Matty T isn't exactly doing much to keep him out of the side).
But given that he always seems to be knackered after 45-60 minutes (not surprising for an 18 year old coming up against professional defenders for the first time) I would have thought that two games in four days might be too much for him.

Similarly, Murphy and Wildschut should be in the starting mix, but coming back from injury, you'd be nuts to start either of them twice within four days.

Assuming everyone's healthy, then the back eight picks itself - and they should all be expecting to play both games:

Eastwood
Anderson Moore Findlay Brown
McGuane
Bate Brannagan

And then I think I would pick Murphy-GOD-Wildschut for one game, and Jones/Henry/Bodin (take your pick)-Taylor-Goodrham for the other.
Unlikely that we'll see Eastwood, Bate or Browne and, Murphy and Wildschut won't start. Going to be a mess. Charlton will have their new manager in place and will view us as ripe for a turnover.
Agree that O'Donkor should be given more game time, just don't see him starting either.

Unlikely that we'll see Eastwood, Bate or Browne and, Murphy and Wildschut won't start. Going to be a mess. Charlton will have their new manager in place and will view us as ripe for a turnover.
Agree that O'Donkor should be given more game time, just don't see him starting either.

I was assuming that Browne would be out for a while, and if Eastwood's out then we're obviously just playing McGinty and hoping for the best.

But Bate is the key man. KR still sounded hopeful that he will be over his illness. But if he isn't, then we just don't have another central midfielder (which is shambolic really).
Bodin has shown that he's not got the defensive discipline to play there in our system; Henry is badly out of form and not a natural in the centre either.

We might just be better off going three at the back - even if that does mean Seddon coming in, or Brown playing ridiculously out of position. We at least know that Anderson is well suited to RWB.

I was assuming that Browne would be out for a while, and if Eastwood's out then we're obviously just playing McGinty and hoping for the best.

But Bate is the key man. KR still sounded hopeful that he will be over his illness. But if he isn't, then we just don't have another central midfielder (which is shambolic really).
Bodin has shown that he's not got the defensive discipline to play there in our system; Henry is badly out of form and not a natural in the centre either.

We might just be better off going three at the back - even if that does mean Seddon coming in, or Brown playing ridiculously out of position. We at least know that Anderson is well suited to RWB.
We do have another central midfielder, it's just that he's been totally ignoring by KR.

We do have another central midfielder, it's just that he's been totally ignoring by KR.

True - although because I didn't watch any preseason, I've never seen him play so am not able to comment on whether HCDAJFU this week!

True - although because I didn't watch any preseason, I've never seen him play so am not able to comment on whether HCDAJFU this week!
I'm no expert but I thought he looked big and strong and willing to move the ball forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom