Away Match Day Thread 26/12/2022: L1: Ipswich Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmmm some people are not concerned about relegation. 5 points off a relegation place at Christmas isn't good. Only 2 loses in a row ,& the teams below win 2. Then we're in the zone, the actual chances of that is very very high. It's very naive & disrespectful , to think otherwise....
To add some balance, we need 8 results to go against us without any reply to end up in the bottom 4.

So serious question we have the owners that provide the funds to sign players and the board run the football club obviously our owners are over seas so don't see what is happening every day so my question is: what are the board seeing that makes them think KR is doing a good job you just have to look at the stats to see he's not ?

To add some balance, we need 8 results to go against us without any reply to end up in the bottom 4.

Although that only needs to happen over half a season.

At the moment we are closer to relegation zone than the play offs, much closer to the relegation zone than the automatics and with only 6 league wins all season relegation is more likely than even just sneaking in to the play offs. Results and performances over 22 games back that up, hard to argue with both the stats and what your eyes tell you.

The most likely occurrence is that this this season peters out into lower mid table nothingness though, we should go on a bit of a winning run eventually to get us clear of the drop with a bit of comfort as Robinsons teams always do that but I can’t see it being as long as previous seasons with this team, even with hopefully a couple of first team additions coming soon.

Keep losing & drawing, then we'll be there quicker than what you think

It also doesn’t matter how quick it happens rather than when it could happen, you only need to drop into it in the first week of May to go down.

The return of the relegation doomungers
Come on guys we all know how this pans out , we have a bad run then we pick up a bit . We are a mid table side nothing more nothing less .The owners are happy with Robinson because he keeps things gently ticking along , when the new ground gets the green light ( hopefully) then you will see major changes

Come on guys we all know how this pans out , we have a bad run then we pick up a bit . We are a mid table side nothing more nothing less .The owners are happy with Robinson because he keeps things gently ticking along , when the new ground gets the green light ( hopefully) then you will see major changes
Relegation doommungers???? I've seen enough relegations, or relegation scraps in my time ,to know we are on thin ice. How do we know how this pans out????? No one does, that's why it's a funny old game....

Train strike. Awkward cross country journey, on i follow, A12 diversion with huge 45 min traffic jam, cash crisis, cold. All valid factors. Not excusing a poor hour by the side. Central defenders clearly nervy in front of our rookie keeperh
So tell me, how many would we have taken if we were top 6 with a capable manager?
Would your list of reasons have prevented less than 1000 travelling?
Never.

I don’t disagree with that, just think it’s hyperbolic to suggest relegation is on the cards. The squads not top 6 standard but it’s not bottom 4 either, and whether we can compete with Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday in a transfer window might be one thing, but I’d like to think we’d have a better chance of strengthening than Burton Albion or Cheltenham Town.

Sorry. thats nonense. So you are saying the board will wait potentially a couple of years before seriously looking at a promotion charge?

Look back to a old Boxing Day game where we stuffed Notts county 3-0 , end of season we were relegated, to say we won’t get relegated this season , and we go on good runs after losing games to me is a bit of hopeful thinking, yesterday we were outplayed , and the overall team performance did’nt suggest a team that’s fighting for each other to achieve something

Look back to a old Boxing Day game where we stuffed Notts county 3-0 , end of season we were relegated, to say we won’t get relegated this season , and we go on good runs after losing games to me is a bit of hopeful thinking, yesterday we were outplayed , and the overall team performance did’nt suggest a team that’s fighting for each other to achieve something
boxing day results from 1963 in old division 1 (now PL) .... it seems quite a few defences were traditionally a bit rubbish, even in the top flight .....

321775612_670882384526492_347745544941002860_n.jpg

Mmmmm some people are not concerned about relegation. 5 points off a relegation place at Christmas isn't good. Only 2 loses in a row ,& the teams below win 2. Then we're in the zone, the actual chances of that is very very high. It's very naive & disrespectful , to think otherwise....
Teams at the bottom are there because they aren’t winning games. Highly unlikely that they’ll go on winning runs. I include us in this group. We are playing shite, so anyone talking about the playoffs needs to take a reality check.

Last edited:
Teams ar the bottom are there because they aren’t winning games. Highly unlikely that they’ll go on winless runs. I include us in this group. We are playing shite, so anyone talking about the playoffs needs to take a reality check.
Do you mean winning runs or winless because we are not to bad at going on winless runs 🙂

Eastwood was fine and Stevens just needed to get over his illness etc, but the whole thing was managed horrendously.

I don’t buy stats all the time, I can see with my own eyes that Eastwood & Stevens are good keepers if managed correctly, that’s why I say it wasn’t a priority. We had bigger fish to fry, but we didn’t focus on them, hence the extremely poor window.

The sad thing is, both Karl, Grant and the other directors think they only took a risk with one player (Murphy), and that judgement really concerns me.

As others have said before, we’ve extended contracts and brought in players who are quite frankly high risk, aging or past it or n longish agreements (2 years), who are on high salaries, so this mess could take a while to address/resolve.
The goalkeeper situation, with hindsight, is one of the larger embarrassments of our summer. But ‘fine’ is not what we need in any position. And we have far too many players with an asterisk next to their name and Stevens was one of those. There’s great sentiment there but he needed to get over his illness - how long do they wait before they realise the club needed a standout number 1 good enough to win us points. But I can’t justify letting him leave in conjunction with promoting Eastwood who, may have been OK lately, but was a huge part of why we dropped so many points early on in the season. McGinty is clearly young, erratic, nervy and needs time. We can’t have him using this club as a platform to make mistakes when we want big things.

Stats are just a tool but plenty of clubs (I always think of Brentford) have built immense success on data-driven player selection but it’s all tied in to a philosophy of what they require to play a certain way.

You’re right though. The comments from the board are a little frightening. They need a transformative January window. They’ve got a fan base to convince.

Eastwood
Long Moore Brown Anderson
Mcguane bate Brannagan
Murphy odonkor Browne
Gotta do this line up

What ?!? We are in the bottom half of the table! We’ve a squad of crocks and players that are unable to beat average teams. The only run we’re likely to go on is one of defeats.
The ground is miles off, relegation is in sight.
Get rid of Robinson.

I don’t disagree with that, just think it’s hyperbolic to suggest relegation is on the cards. The squads not top 6 standard but it’s not bottom 4 either, and whether we can compete with Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday in a transfer window might be one thing, but I’d like to think we’d have a better chance of strengthening than Burton Albion or Cheltenham Town.
Were you around when we got relegated to the Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom