Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Do they have 40 odd caps for England?
are they 40 years old? And I thought someone mumbled something about an 18 month deal at one point. No issues with passing on Defoe at that cost especially considering he isn't match fit. Limited value for at least a third of the remaining season and blows up the team salary structure if he actually had an extra year on there.

A deal can be agreed in principle before being ratified by the board. It's not unusual for deals to be held up at this stage, but there's lots of positives to take from this. Firstly, a player of Defoes stature was happy to join us despite interest from several other clubs, including Sunderland. Secondly, we're looking top end budgets and if we were close with Defoe we'll certainly be in the running with Stockton and others. And finally, it's not a bad thing that we have people at the top being careful with what we spend. We can go big, but only if it makes business sense.

are they 40 years old? And I thought someone mumbled something about an 18 month deal at one point. No issues with passing on Defoe at that cost especially considering he isn't match fit. Limited value for at least a third of the remaining season and blows up the team salary structure if he actually had an extra year on there.

I heard it was an 18 month deal last week. Would of took him to the end of the season but not beyond. Of it was an 18 month deal a sensible decision from the board if you ask me.

Well if KR was pissed off on the Chairman not signing off on Defoe, he was very careful not to criticise the Boardroom on Saturday. Nathan specifically asked if it was anyone at the club messing things up and he said it wasn’t anyone at OUFC he was annoyed at.

yep 72000 quid, no transfer fee doesnt seem that much.
Yeah, despite what I said earlier, I'd forgotten about the fact he's a free agent. Still a lot of money but relatively low risk depending on what the contract offer was.

A deal can be agreed in principle before being ratified by the board. It's not unusual for deals to be held up at this stage, but there's lots of positives to take from this. Firstly, a player of Defoes stature was happy to join us despite interest from several other clubs, including Sunderland. Secondly, we're looking top end budgets and if we were close with Defoe we'll certainly be in the running with Stockton and others. And finally, it's not a bad thing that we have people at the top being careful with what we spend. We can go big, but only if it makes business sense.
Does seem an odd one though, the negotiator (our end) knows what we can afford so how can a deal be done or taken to the cheque writer when it's obvious that the expected wage is above our ceiling?....Beyond that did anybody even consider what the likely expected package would cost to get such a player, at face value it does read as very unprofessional.

Back
Top Bottom