09/08/2022 - Carabao Cup: OUFC v Swansea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree, but unfortunately the "modern supporter" has just been conditioned into thinking Cup games don't matter. Think it goes back to when Manchester United (isn't it always...) decided the League Cup wasn't important enough for them to bother with and decided to play a weakened team, leading to this hilarious result...

They actually threw it (FA cup) one year for the World Club Cup or something that started that particular rot

Maybe I'm getting confused with the pizza cup then. [emoji58] radio oxford it is.

Wonder if I’ll be able to listen to the game on my phone (rather than having to dig out the non-digital radio from the loft) as it’s a cup game?

I find the whole cup vs league thing weird. As a fan, I want my team to play and win as many games as possible.

In our 2015-2016 promotion season we got the the 4th round of the FA Cup and the final of the paint pot trophy (before it got sullied). We must have played 60 games that season and the cup success helped us build and maintain momentum.

The following season we got to the 5th round of the FA Cup (the almost brilliant comeback at Middlesbrough) and the final of the now bastardised paint pot thing. We also finished 8th in the league on our return.

Sure, but take a look at some of the teams we put out in the early rounds of those two cups!

Against Braintree in the FA Cup, we rested Roofe, Dunkley (I believe Jake Wright was injured at the time), Hylton & Sercombe - played Skarz at CB and some bloke that I can only vaguely remember called Cameron Gayle at LB. Patrick Hoban started up front. 😬

Then against Daggers in our second Paint Pot trophy match (the first was against the Scum, so we understandably put out our strongest XI), Gayle played RB, Robbie Cundy made his one and only appearance for the club in central defense, AJ George made his only ever start for the club on the wing....and Hoban started up front again. 😬

We still got through the Braintree tie, and won the game against Dagenham!

It's a long season, and we're going to need a full squad of players over its course. So now is the time to get a few of the players a run-out in a competitive fixture so that they don't stagnate sitting on the bench. Doesn't mean we're not trying to win, doesn't mean we can't win (especially as Swansea will almost certainly do the same) - it's just smart squad management.

So I would definitely be giving Ciaron Brown a run-out, Gorrin too. And then probably Jones and Murphy on the wings because they seem to be the two in most need of game time at the moment. Bring Goodrham on for whichever of them is looking leggy at around the hour mark.

So something like:

Stevens
Long Moore Brown Seddon
Gorrin
Bate Henry
Jones Murphy
Taylor/Browne (whichever is in the best shape)

Definitely a side that can win, even if it's not our absolute best XI right now.......

Goodrham and Golding are to start.
I reckon that is good news. Let's see how they do against Swansea. Both seem rated and they get a chance to show how good they are!

Fair enough.

If that's the case, then I'd probably amend my starting XI to something like:

Stevens
Long Moore Golding Brown
Gorrin
Bate Henry
Jones Goodrham
Taylor/Browne/Murphy

With the striker position depending on who has the fewest niggles at this point in the season......

Fair enough.

If that's the case, then I'd probably amend my starting XI to something like:

Stevens
Long Moore Golding Brown
Gorrin
Bate Henry
Jones Goodrham
Taylor/Browne/Murphy

With the striker position depending on who has the fewest niggles at this point in the season......

Almost certain Golding will be playing on the right according to Karl's recent comments.

McGinty

Golding Moore Findlay Seddon

Gorrin
Brannagan Bate

Goodrham Taylor Murphy​

I reckon Golding will play right of a 3 tomorrow with Findlay and Brown. Dare I say…. Murphy and Goodrham wing backs?!?!

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like this

Mcginty
Golding Moore Brown
Murphy Mcguane Bate Owens
Goodrham Jones
Browne

Think with KR saying he’s trying something different it has to be a 3 back formation.

Wouldn’t mind seeing something like this

Mcginty
Golding Moore Brown
Murphy Mcguane Bate Owens
Goodrham Jones
Browne

Think with KR saying he’s trying something different it has to be a 3 back formation.

Please don't let KR see this team - it'll give him ideas about how to fit five wingers on the pitch at once!!

I would hazard a guess that if we do play three at the back, with genuine wingers serving as wingbacks, that we will in turn play three out-and-out central midfielders. Otherwise you have two players on either side of the pitch that want to get chalk on their boots and ideally want to occupy exactly the same space.

So instead of that, would be something like:

McGinty
Golding Moore Brown
Murphy Bate Gorrin Brannagan Goodrham
Browne
Taylor

Remember, when we did go three at the back last season, it coincided with also playing two up front......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom